Tuesday, June 19, 2007

It's going to be a tough day today.

Today started out with a rescue run around 6:50 Am this morning on I-70. Nothing unusual as we got disregarded enroute, however, my cell phone was ringing off the hook as we were responding. I didn't think to much of it, but once I checked my messages, I just couldn't believe it. First, 9 firefighters were killed in South Carolina last night. While not directly affecting me, it still does because of what I do for a living. Second, the message was clear, Coach has died.

I cried on the way back to the station, not because I had lost a friend, but because my prayers, and others prayers had been heard. Terry was healed! I heard Coach testify of his faith, and I knew that when he passed away, he'd be in Heaven. I beleive the second after he drew his last breath, he was healed before the Lord! For me, I will see him again, and I can't wait to do so.

Terry called IU his "dream job". Now we are used to hearing that on bball side of things, but for football? Terry breathed life into this program like no ever did before him. He inspired kids to do some pretty amazing things, to play beyond their abilities, and to believe in each other. Though his time with us was short, a foundation was built, a symbol (The Rock) was made, and those in and around the program began to believe that Indiana University could have a consistant, winning program that has lacked for decades.

I will blog more, but for now, I want to leave you with this poem. John Barada sent it to me this morning, and like him, I can remember how moved I was to hear Coach quote this poem. It was probably his favorite and it fits well today. Also, keep Hep's family in your prayers. They will need strength to get through these next few days and beyond. However, there faith is strong and they will endure, until they are reunited with Coach in Heaven.


Don't Quit Poem
by anonymous
When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you're trudging seems all up hill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest! if you must; but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As everyone of us sometimes learns,
And many a failure turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out;
Don't give up, though the pace seems slow;
You might succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer thanIt seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup.

And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out;
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt;
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar;
So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit;
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit

1 comment:

Camdog said...

Thanks for sharing.